I’d like to share the result of the 4th assignment of the Lilla Rogers Bootcamp 2015.
“Marine Mash-up: design some plates by combining crustaceans and a pattern/patterns.”
I started again a Pin-board:
The first thing I noticed about these creatures was that their proportions didn’t seem right.
Small animals, big hair-do, large bodies, small limbs, cranky ‘faces’, bright colours, etc, etc.
So of course I had to do something with that. I exaggerated the things a bit more.
This time I haven’t got loads of pictures of my sketching process. I sketched about five different crustaceans, chose three best good looking, and started to paint. I used East Indian Ink and acrylics, that’s about it.
For the pattern-bit I created loads of shapes in different colours, from yellow to brown-red.
I decided to create a classic pattern with repeats… Hmm…no…. I’d rather not.
So I created some graphical patterns with pencil (which you can see in the background and on the plates) and carefully ‘blobbed’ the coloured elements on top of the illustrations.
I thought: It’s a colourful workshop (when you know the illustrators Lilla Rogers represent), so why don’t use some colours, get out of your comfort zone….
I sent this one in, but it was too much out of my comfort zone…I didn’t like it at all…
That’s also the reason why I’m sharing it now, four months later. I just had to do something more with it…
…or something les…
Actually I’m not very fond if these kind of combinations on china, I’d rather prefer patterns OR illustrations, and in this case just the illustrations. In the nearby future I want to print these moody crustaceans on plates for real. If you’d like a set, they’ll come in three…