LR Bootcamp #5 – Digital Nomad

And….while we’re at it… (I’ll keep it short)

For the fifth and last assignment of the Lilla Rogers Bootcamp 2015, I made an (online) editorial illustration on ‘Digital Nomads.’ When searching for inspirational pictures I just concentrated on (nomadic) tents and all the beautiful decorations on people’s skin, clothing and jewelry in pictures of ‘far away cultures’.

This week I finally added a background to my illustration, so now it’s completed and ready to share. The patterns and jewelry she’s wearing are made of the iconical internet logos like ‘www’, wifi, email and the google maps pin. It’s made with acrylics and pencil to let the details in the illustration stand out more. (I also used some golden paint to add a bit more richness to the decorations)


And some details:






LR BOOTCAMP #4 Marine mashup

I’d like to share the result of the 4th assignment of the Lilla Rogers Bootcamp 2015.
“Marine Mash-up: design some plates by combining crustaceans and a pattern/patterns.”

I started again a Pin-board:

The first thing I noticed about these creatures was that their proportions didn’t seem right.
Small animals, big hair-do, large bodies, small limbs, cranky ‘faces’, bright colours, etc, etc.
So of course I had to do something with that. I exaggerated the things a bit more.

This time I haven’t got loads of pictures of my sketching process. I sketched about five different crustaceans, chose three best good looking, and started to paint. I used East Indian Ink and acrylics, that’s about it.





For the pattern-bit I created loads of shapes in different colours, from yellow to brown-red.
I decided to create a classic pattern with repeats… Hmm…no…. I’d rather not.
So I created some graphical patterns with pencil (which you can see in the background and on the plates) and carefully ‘blobbed’ the coloured elements on top of the illustrations.
I thought: It’s a colourful workshop (when you know the illustrators Lilla Rogers represent), so why don’t use some colours, get out of your comfort zone….

I sent this one in, but it was too much out of my comfort zone…I didn’t like it at all…
That’s also the reason why I’m sharing it now, four months later. I just had to do something more with it…


…or something les…

Actually I’m not very fond if these kind of combinations on china, I’d rather prefer patterns OR illustrations, and in this case just the illustrations. In the nearby future I want to print these moody crustaceans on plates for real. If you’d like a set, they’ll come in three…


After being busy with loads of things at the same time my agenda can finally breath a little.
For me it means I (finally) got some time to share my finished projects on my blog and portfolio website. So first up:

The second assignment from Lilla Rogers Bootcamp 2015:
“Get your inspiration from scenery plates, and create your own ‘wall art’ on wood!”

Like with the first assignment, I started a Pinterest board, to see what’s already out there, and at what kind of style I would be attracted to.

Later on in February I visited Paris and returned to the Picasso Museum (because….I love Picasso!). His goat was there… and, tadaa, that was going to be my theme!

goat picasso(source: Pablo Picasso, by Ingo Walther, Taschen – book)

Because Picasso likes to defragment his objects (like Cubism, you know?) I wanted to try this too, with a little bit of ‘obscurity’. I planned on making four plates with on every one a part of the goat. Below you’ll find some of my work-in-progress photos.


First up: the skecthes. Head, butt, body with some ‘folded’ lambs…and a bird…a leg and some bone decorative edges.


One of my colleagues was so kind to make the four wooden plates(Yay!) and I painted them in a colour I normally would NEVER use if it isn’t necessary. (That was also a test/tip by Lilla Rogers, try some new colour pallets.)


I began with a white layer, so that the colours would come out better.


Then I added the darker colour, for more detail, as you can see.


Again, another darker colour. At this time I struggled with some of the plates, haha.
The deadline to submit was just a few hours away, so….


… I just finished one piece for the gallery. It’s painted with acrylic on wood, and to add more detail I used charcoal (black and white) and pencil.
The other ones I will finish some other time in my life…. I’ll keep you posted.

LR Bootcamp #1 journal cover


In an earlier post I mentioned I enrolled Lilla Rogers Bootcamp 2015. Last Sunday (25th of January) was the deadline of the first assignment: Be inspired by Edwardian brooches and create a journal cover. I missed the deadline because of having another schedule, so I just finished it.

The photo above is, as you can see, a kind of chaotic working space with sketches made earlier, the assignment, my moodboards in a sketchbook and some of the painted elements.

My moodboards by colour. There’s also a red page, but I didn’t use it.
Keywords: bugs/insects, jewelry, brooches, Edwardian, Jugendstil, gems.
I collected them all from Pinterest.

I really liked the example of the bug brooches which were given as an example in the assignment and I have always loved the close-up photos of bugs (yes, the photos, not the real living ones…). The sketch above shows a grown ant lion, which I ones made as a study for my own logo (fourmilion), so this was the decisive reason to illustrate a bug.

MF-LR1-painted items
These are the painted items for my journal cover.

The result for the “dragonfly” cover.

MF-LRB1-dragonfly-journalAnd a simple mock-up on a notebook cover.

I really liked doing this first assignment with this theme, so I’m thinking of painting more bug jewelry to make a collection out of it.

If you like you can check the results of my fellow students who díd send in their work on time: LR Bootcamp Gallery January 2015.